August 1996 Volume 23 No. 4
INFORMS will hold the 1996 Doctoral Colloquium Nov. 1-3 in Atlanta during
the weekend immediately preceding the INFORMS National Meeting. All Ph.D.-granting
programs in operations research and management science are invited to nominate
students for participation.
Nominations Sought for 1996 Doctoral Colloquium
The primary objective of the colloquium is to promote interaction between
doctoral students and professionals in operations research and management
science. Approximately 10 professional participants will make presentations
and lead discussions on issues and technical areas related to academic and
industrial careers in operations research and management science.
To be eligible for nomination, a student:
A complete nomination by the department must include:
- should have completed basic coursework and initiated research;
- should be within two years, but not less than six months, from completing
all degree requirements;
- must have excellent potential for contributing to operations research
and/or management science;
- must have good communication skills;
- must be a member of INFORMS or have applied for membership at the time
of the nomination; and
- must never have attended the Doctoral Colloquium before.
Nominating departments are expected to pay for travel expenses and hotel
accommodations. We are doing a test this year and not limiting the number
of nominations from any department (but we are not promising that all applicants
will be accepted -- they will be judged by their nomination packages). Any
school that has more than one student attend will be asked to contribute
$100 for each additional student towards the cost of the program. INFORMS
will pay for all administrative and meal costs associated with the colloquium
and arrange hotel accommodations for Friday and Saturday nights.
- the student's transcript at the nominating institution;
- a letter of recommendation from the department chair;
- a one-page statement of purpose from the student including description
of student's research and career interests, and the dissertation topic;
- the U.S. Mail and, if available, E-mail addresses and phone number of
Departments interested in nominating students are invited to contact the
1996 Colloquium chair, Dr. Donna C. Llewellyn at Georgia Tech; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Phone: (404) 894-2340; Fax: (404) 894-2301.
Complete nomination packages must be submitted before Sept. 1, 1996, to:
Dr. Donna C. Llewellyn, School of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Georgia
Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0205.
E-mail to the Editorial Department of OR/MS Today: email@example.com
OR/MS Today copyright © 1997, 1998 by the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences. All rights reserved.
Lionheart Publishing, Inc.
2555 Cumberland Parkway, Suite 299, Atlanta, GA 30339 USA
Phone: 770-431-0867 | Fax: 770-432-6969
Web Site © Copyright 1997, 1998 by Lionheart Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.
Web Design by Premier Web Designs, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org