OR/MS Related Internet
The following list is by no means comprehensive. As the
old saying goes, "this site is under construction." If you
have any suggestions for Internet sites we should list here
(be they web or gopher sites, USENET newsgroups, IRC
discussion groups, mailing lists, etc.) please don't
hesitate to let us know about them. E-mail any pertinent
information to Patton McGinley at
Index of resource types:
- INFORMS and associated
- Other ORMS societies and
- Academic sites
- Resource sites
- Commercial sites
- Mailing Lists
- NEW (updated 8/5/08):
- AIMMS is an advanced development environment for building optimization based operations research applications and advanced planning systems. It is used by leading companies to support decision making in a wide range of industries in areas such as supply chain management, production planning, logistics, forestry planning and risk-, revenue- and asset- management.
- INFORMS and Associated Sites:
- INFORMS Online
- This is the homepage of the Institute for Operations
Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS). The
Institute is dedicated to serving all members or the ORMS
community (educators, students, scientists, and
practitioners) as well as reaching out to the greater
community in regard to the practice and research of ORMS.
This is accomplished through INFORMS' numerous
publications (such as Interfaces and ORMS Today) and
- INFORMS Online features a number of resources, such
as: late breaking news about INFORMS; information on
INFORMS conferences, publications, regional and SIG
subdivisions, and educational material; a searchable
database of the bulletin for recent INFORMS meetings; and
a searchable membership directory. They also offer
numerous links to other ORMS resources.
- A practice-oriented electronic information service of
INFORMS, jointly sponsored by Interfaces, the
Council on the Practice of Management Sciences (CPMS),
and the Management Science Roundtable (MSR).
Practice-oriented resources and announcements, pointers
to related online sources of information, recent
Interfaces material, a directory of OR/MS
consultants, and discussion of practice issues are
- Other Societies and
Operational Research Society (ORS) -- Live OR
- This site details the activities of the Operational
Research Society. Topics on this site include a calendar
of upcoming events, information on a career in operations
research, links to the ORS library, sister societies and
training courses, as well as listings of Internet
resources. Internet surfing tips are also provided.
(World-wide-web for Operations Research and Management
- An ORMS resource site with a unique sense of humor.
Among the ubiquitous Internet site listings there's the
"What is OR/MS?" page and "The <more> Campaign."
Though a lot of this site is "Under Construction" the
outline is very promising and participation is
encouraged. Among the numerous site listings are special
features such as: information on ASOR (Australian Society
for Operation Research); a digest version of the USENET
sci.op-research newsgroup; a directory of dissertations;
and a list of ORMS software sites for both commerical
software and freeware.
Mathematical Society (AMS)
- This site provides information about AMS, its
publications, services, meetings and conferences, and has
an array of links to mathematics sites on the web.
- Society for
Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- The SIAM web site provides information about the
society's membership, publications, conferences and SIAM
news, as well as other SIAM activities, products and
- The electronic forum for the optimization community
formed by the German National Mathematics Society. This
web site offers digests of the Opt-Net List back to 1993,
has options for joining Opt-Net, and provides links to
- Annals of Operations Research
- (Baltzers Science Publishers)
Annals of Operations Research publishes refereed conference proceedings or papers as well as contributed papers in defined areas of OR. Topics range from from highly theoretical, to algorithmic and to applied OR. Each volume has one or more guest editors who are responsible for the collection of papers that appear in that volume. All papers are subject to peer refereeing.
- Resource Sites:
Trick's Operations Research Page
- Michael Trick administers the INFORMS Online site as
well as this vast compendium of ORMS related Net sites.
If it's about ORMS and it's on the Internet there's a
99.9% probability that it's listed here. The links are
broken down into a very helpful subject index. Also
featured is a web based, OR discussion group.
- Mohan Sondhi's Virtual OR/MS Library
- Another useful ORMS resource maintained by the founder of the USENET newsgroup "sci.op-research." Mohan Sondhi's sight provides a subject index of other ORMS related Internet resources (including online bibliographies and ORMS software libraries). He also lists pointers to ORMS societies, university programs, companies, conferences, meetings, and government and non-profit agencies.
- Comprehensive collection of industry research, compliments of theSupplyChain.com.
- Academic Sites:
Systems and Optimization Laboratory Site at UCLA
- This page provides information on communications and
telecommunications, as well as how operations research is
tied into telecommunications networks. Associated plans
of study at the University are also offered. Links to
other operations research sites are provided, too.
- This site features articles, books, hints and reviews
concerning the constraints field. FTP sites are also
offered, in addition to lists of people, publications,
newsgroups and other subjects related to constraints.
- This site details the Mentor Project, a teaching and
learning technology project (backed by the Committee of
Professors in Operations Research), the aim of which is
to produce 17 computer-based modules in a variety of
commonly taught OR subjects.
Mathematical Programming Glossary
- Compiled by Dr. Harvey J. Greenberg of the University
of Colorado at Denver, the Mathematical Programming
Glossary contains terms specific to mathematical
programming, along with some terms from other
disciplines, notably mathematics, that are directly
related to the topic. Also noted is information on the
nature of mathematical programming and supplements on
alternative systems, duals (and theorems), fixed points,
a problem list, cycling in linear programming, degenerate
polyhedrons and more.
Research and Industrial Engineering at Cornell
- Information on Cornell University's operations
Research at Stanford
- Information on the university's operations research
program and projects. Also featured is the Systems
Optimization Laboratory (SOL), which deals with
algorithms development, model formulation, software
production and theoretical research in large-scale
mathematical programming systems; and the Simulation
Network, a range of online services for the simulation
Research at Massey University
- A small but growing site for the OR department of
Massey University located in Palmerston North, New
Zealand. The site lists information on the OR program's
courses as well as research they are currently
conducting. Also listed are links to other OR web and ftp
- A series of introductory notes on OR topics. Areas
covered include OR specific mathematical notation, linear
programming, network analysis, stochastic methods and
- Commercial Sites:
- Dash Optimization
- Dash's website offers full information on its optimization and modeling software tools. Dash's products provide large scale linear programming, integer programming, and quadratic programming optimization. In addition there are constraint programming and stochastic programming optimizers. The website holds a host of case studies and examples.
- The Expert Choice Inc. World Wide Web homepage offers
information about the company's decision support
software. Information about the company's methodology,
partners, resources, clients and support, as well as
relevant seminars is provided. In addition, a discussion
forum and newsletter are also provided.
- ILOG's Web site offers a wealth of information about
its software development components. Its products provide
generic and ready-to-use features for data
visualization, resource optimization and data control.
Visitors can learn more about the specific products and
the company, order a demo CD ROM, get contact information
and much more.
- This site features information about Palisade's
software; demos for downloading; an on-line order form
and registration for customers; and a Technical Support
section including a database that users can search to
find answers to common questions and problems, as well as
the most recent patches to their software. Palisade also
offers newsletters, press releases, and technical papers
using Adobe Acrobat files.
Practical Application Company
- This UK based company conducts a number of
conferences focusing on the application of information
technologies. Their site lists upcoming events in Europe
and Britain as well as information on past conferences.
Topics of future conferences include: intelligent agents,
data mining and constraint management technology.
Graphics Enterprise Optimization
- Information on Silicon Graphics Solutions for
Operations Research, plus news announcements, a list of
software vendors & consultants supporting SGI
parallel OR technology, and a comprehensive table of
contents to help you find your way through the site.
Note: you must have access to a USENET news server to
participate in these resources
- This newgroup focuses on discussions of research,
teaching, and the application of operations research. It
also the point of origin for John Gregory's Linear
Programming and Nonlinear Programming FAQs.
- This mailing list focuses on the interconnection
between operations research and computer science. The
list is unmoderated and the topics are wide-ranging. To
subscribe, send e-mail to
with the following in the body of the message:
- subscribe ORCS-L
- NOTE: be sure to remove "<>" around your
first name and last name.
- This is a mailing list maintained by the people
responsible for the PRACTICE Online website. It provides
an interactive forum for discussing issues pertinent to
all MS/OR professionals. POL-LIST is a moderated list and
there is usually a delay of a day or two for posted
messages. To subscribe send an e-mail message to
with the body of the message containing the single line:
- To subscribe to the digest version send mail to
with the body of the message containing the single line:
- This moderated mailing list is of interest to anyone
involved in mathematic optimization. Although the server
is maintained by the Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum fuer
Informationstechnik in Berlin, the official language of
the group is English. To subscribe, send e-mail to
with the subject line containing:
- and the the following in the body of the message:
- Title: %optional%
NamePW: <nickname> <password> %optional%
- To receive a help file send e-mail to
with subject line containing:
OR/MS Today Home Page
OR/MS Today copyright © 2008 by the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences. All rights reserved.
Lionheart Publishing, Inc.
2555 Cumberland Parkway, Suite 299, Atlanta, GA 30339 USA
Phone: 770-431-0867 | Fax: 770-432-6969
Web Site © Copyright 2008 by Lionheart Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.